Pie is a pretty awesome dessert. Right? The only problem is, a regular pie makes…well, a lot. And the crust gets super soggy after sitting in the fridge for a day or so. Cue the happy music because with this recipe for Apple-Berry Crisp for Two, there’s no need to suffer soggy pie crust again!
This recipe started out after I came across a recipe for pumpkin pie for two. Once we had that one down, we set our sights on a variation with a year-round theme. That meant ditching the crust and adding a crumble topping. Enter the individual Apple-Berry Crisp for Two recipe. They are little sweet tooth ninjas that will satisfy your sweet tooth and leave no trace of soggy crust behind.
Apple-Berry Crisp for Two
- 1/4 cup flour For gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free flour
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 1/8 cup Gluten-free oatmeal
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 Gala or Golden Delicious apple
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries or blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter, rub the mixture between fingers until coarse crumbs form.
- Toss with the oats and sugar and squeeze the crumble between your hands to form small clumps. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 5 days.
- While the crumb topping is chilling prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/4-in.-thick slices and then cut the slices in half.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the apples with the sugar, zest, and lemon juice just until the apples begin to soften.
- Add the berries and cornstarch to the saucepan, turn off the heat, and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add filling to two 5" ramekins or pie dishes
- After the crumb topping has chilled, spoon over the filling, breaking up any very large pieces.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until topping is lightly golden and filling is bubbly.