In most cases, I’m not big on reheated pasta for dinner. Let’s face it. Gluten-free pasta doesn’t do well the second time around. The original recipe for this dish was for four people. That recipe also called for fresh herbs we simply don’t usually have in the house. So, after making it the first time, I immediately set about modifying the recipe. I wanted to make it for two people, simplify the instructions, and streamline the cooking process. Voila! Here’s my version of a Weeknight Pasta & Roasted Veggies dish for two that I think you’ll love.
Need another easy weeknight dinner for two? Try my Chile-Lime Cream Fish Tostadas — a weeknight favorite
Weeknight Pasta & Roasted Veggies
- 2 carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-2 zucchini cut into 1-inch pieces. If the zucchini is large, you can use just 1.
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil more for drizzling
- 1/2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 garlic clove Minced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp. Dried thyme leaves
- 8 oz penne pasta Cook according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil more for garnish, We seldom have fresh basil in the house, so you can always substitute 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- Juice of 1/4 lemon If you prefer a stronger lemon taste, increase to 1/2 lemon Pinches of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Preheat a large stainless steel skillet or a large baking sheet in the oven. If using a baking sheet, you may want to line with parchment paper just before adding vegetables.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and stir.
- Add the carrots and onions to the mixing bowl, mix well, then transfer to hot skillet. Return skillet to oven for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Add zucchini and tomatoes and mix.
- Remove hot skillet from oven, stir carrots and onions, then add the zucchini and tomatoes. Return hot skillet to oven for 20-30 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, prepare sauce In the large mixing bowl. Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the sherry vinegar, garlic, herbes de Provence, thyme, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
- Using the directions on the package, start cooking the pasta so it will finish shortly after the vegetables are due to be done.
- When vegetables are golden brown around the edges and the tomatoes are lightly bursting, remove from oven and add to mixing bowl with sauce.
- When pasta is done to your liking, drain and transfer to the large bowl with the roasted vegetables and toss to coat.
- Add the feta, basil, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes and gently toss. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice, as desired.
- Garnish with more fresh basil and generous drizzles of olive oil.